Monday, May 16, 2011

Queen of Green...Haha not really but i like the sound of it :)!

Has it really been since September that I spilled my current thoughts on my blog?!?! Let's see if I can even remember how to navigate through my own blog.

I guess what I want to focus on tonight is how green I’ve become….Kind of a boring topic I know, but I’ve had so much fun with it lately that I thought I would share.
Did you know that the average person throws out about 1,200 pounds of trash per year?!?! That’s a ton of garbage!! Now think about where all that trash goes? Yep, into our landfills…directly into the ground…Well, 90% of it anyway….10% of trash is incinerated.  
Now ask yourself, how hard would it be to recycle? It may seem like a daunting/pointless task but here are a few fun facts………..
-Every ton of paper that is recycled saves 17 trees
- Recycling and composting diverted nearly 70 million tons of material away from landfills and incinerators in 2000, up from 34 million tons in 1990-doubling in just 10 years
- The energy we save when we recycle one glass bottle is enough to light a light bulb for 4 hours
- 2 years after calling recycling a $40 million drain on the city, New York City leaders realized that a redesigned, efficient recycling system could actually save the city $20 million and they have now signed a 20-year recycling contract
A few months ago I started recycling and I can’t express to you, just how much I love it. Eric and I have reduced the amount of trash we throw away significantly. On average, we probably throw away about a bag and a half of trash away a week.
To help reduce the amount of trash we throw out, I also created a compost bin for my garden so that contributed to reducing the amount of trash we throw out a week. I know it may sound a little silly, but every little bit helps.
So ask yourself, how hard would it be for you to recycle and be greener?
Thanks for reading and God Bless
Xoxo,
Kristen

1 comment:

  1. Ms Kristen,

    I didn't know you were a recycling fan! as you know this friends of yours makes a living selling 100% post consumer recycled paper. We also operate recycling centers in NM, AZ TX and CO. We don;t have any here in Dallas, but if you're interested, I can get you a tour of one of our suppliers here in Dallas to see how a recycling center works. let me know!

    Finally, congrats on the blog. I'm not much of an avid blog reader as I need more time to do that, finish all my books, do more exercise, etc, but will try to keep an eye on yours more often.

    Wilfrido

    ReplyDelete